Your upgrade procedure may differ based on which version of Appraise-It you currently have installed.
Note that the following programs are upgraded when a new version of Appraise-It is installed:
Other programs, such as Apex, must be upgraded separately.
If you are working on a network, you may upgrade all client computers simultaneously (i.e. it is no longer necessary to upgrade each client one at a time). All networked computers must be running the same version of Appraise-It; client computers running older versions of the program will not be able to access the TRADATA folder until they are upgraded to match the other computers on the network. Just make sure not to open Appraise-It on any of the workstations until each has been upgraded.
Once a week, Appraise-It checks to see if there is a new version available. If there is, it downloads the new installer in the background without interrupting your work. The next time you close Appraise-It, you will be asked if you want to install the latest version. If you click Yes, the installer runs, starting you at step 4 of the directions below. You can change how often Appraise-It checks for updates by going to Edit ⇨ Preferences, then clicking on Updates under Application. You can also manually check for updates as described below.
1. In Appraise-It, save and close any open reports, then go to Help ⇨ Check For Updates.
2. If there is no new no version available, you will be informed your version is up to date. If there is a new version available, you will be asked if you want to install it; click Yes. The new version's installer will be downloaded.
3. When the download is complete, you will be prompted to close Appraise-It. Close only the larger Appraise-It window in the background, not the smaller upgrader window in the foreround. When Appraise-It is closed, the installer will automatically begin.
4. The installer will proceed without the need for any user input; when it is complete, click Finish and re-open Appraise-It.
5. You will be prompted to update your data folder. If you are on a networked computer, you must ensure that no other computers on the network have Appraise-It open before you click Yes; read the "Updating Your Data Folder" section below for instructions and information on this process.
6. Once your data folder is updated, Appraise-It will open and you can continue your work.
All Versions Of Appraise-It
Note that while Appraise-It 10.0 and higher include the automatic update system, they can also be manually upgraded.
1. Close Appraise-It if it is open, and go to the Downloads page on our website.
2. Enter your customer ID to access a list of available software installers.
3. Check the box to confirm you agree to the Terms and Conditions, then click the Appraise-It download link.
4. Save the installer to your desktop.
5. When the download is complete, run the installer.
6. The installer will use the directory settings from the current install; click Next and Finish when prompted.
7. Re-open Appraise-It. You may be prompted to enter your customer ID and password to register Appraise-It; if you are, do so. You will be prompted to update your data folder. If you are on a networked computer, you must ensure that no other computers on the network have Appraise-It open before you click Yes; read the "Updating Your Data Folder" section below for instructions and information on this process.
8. Once your data folder is updated, Appraise-It will open and you can continue your work.
Updating Your Data Folder
When you run an Appraise-It upgrade, only the program itself is upgraded. Your data folder must also be updated; this is done when Appraise-It opens for the first time after an upgrade.
If you are on a standalone computer, click Yes when prompted and allow the process to complete.
If you are on a networked computer, you must ensure that no other computers on the network have Appraise-It open before you click Yes. Once the update process completes on your computer, the other computers can re-open Appraise-It. Note that if other computers are still running an older version, they will be prompted to upgrade to the latest version before they can continue to use the program. (However, if they are running version 9.4 or lower, they must be upgraded manually before they can work). The update process only happens on the first computer on the network to open the new version of Appraise-It.
If the update process is interrupted (i.e. by a power outage or computer crash), the next time you open Appraise-It, you will see a message stating the data folder is being updated, and you will not be allowed to continue. Browse to your TRADATA folder, find and delete the version.ini file, then re-open Appraise-It. The update process will restart.
If the update process hangs at any point for longer than 5 minutes, contact Technical Support.